1) Call to Order Chair Higgins called the meeting to order at 5:30 pm.
2) Determination of Quorum A quorum was reached with eight commissioners in attendance. Commissioners present: Rob McCloskey, Trey Fouche, Meghan
Stamper, Carol Livingston, Chris Kolkhorst, Chair Scott Higgins, Andrew Heywood, Dave Rusk, and Town Commissioner Jim Duke Commissioners absent: Travis Dancy Staff present: Assistant Director John DeKemper, Karen Ulmer
3) Approval of Minutes (December) Commissioner Kolkhorst made a motion to accept the minutes from the December 5, 2019, meeting as written.
Commissioner Rusk seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
4) Public Appearances Citizen Concerns/Comments None
5) Presentations None
6) Director s Report Since PARC Director Fitzsimmons was unable to attend the meeting, Assistant Director DeKemper asked that the Commissioners refer
to the Director s Report as included with the agenda packet. He shared a presentation [see attached] with two additional items: the Mecklenburg County Northern Regional Recreation Center (NRRC) groundbreaking has been moved to February 19 (time TBD), and planning and design for the Caldwell Station Creek Greenway Extension, from NRRC to the existing Caldwell Station Creek Greenway at Poole Place, is underway. Chair Higgins reminded the Commissioners to go online to www.meckplaybook.com and participate in Mecklenburg County s master plan survey.
7) PARC Commissioner Recommendations Reports a) Items to be placed on record b) Commissioner Reports
1) Commissioner Rob McCloskey He is keeping the articles going in Lakeside Living magazine. If anyone has any ideas or has something they feel
passionate about, let him know and that can be coordinated. Town Commissioner Duke added that he is now writing for the Peninsula Navigator magazine and an email newsletter and he also welcomes topic ideas.
2) Commissioner Trey Fouche No report 3) Commissioner Meghan Stamper No report 4) Commissioner Carol Livingston No report 5) Commissioner Chris
Kolkhorst No report 6) Commissioner Andrew Heywood No report 7) Commissioner Dave Rusk No report 8) Commissioner Travis Dancy Absent 9) Chair Scott Higgins He has been meeting with the Town Manager and Town Commissioners in support
c) Town Commissioner Report Commissioner Jim Duke He has met twice with the Town Manager and Finance Director, mostly about PARC getting the full
300,000 next year. There is nothing more important than what we need here in PARC, as it is the face of the Town. He asked for a specific list of projects that he can use for the upcoming budget meetings and asked that the PARC Commissioners attend as many of those as they can, including the budget retreat at Graylyn it makes a difference.
a) Cain Center for the Arts Town Commissioner Duke advised there are discussions on the Cain Center assuming operations of the PARC s Cornelius Arts
Center. He wants to ensure Cain is ready and able prior to any turnover. Commissioner Fouche said Commissioner McCloskey, Town Commissioner Duke, Mayor Washam and he had met before the end of the year to discuss a transition. Commissioners McCloskey and Fouche are crafting emails to the Town Commissioners to express their thoughts on an appropriate transition process. They welcomed input from the rest of the PARC Commissioners. Commissioner McCloskey said the PARC Commission will need to actively listen to community input to ensure public needs are met.
a) FY21 Operations Budget Goals Assistant Director DeKemper gave a presentation [see attached] regarding PARC s operating budget goals and capital
needs request for FY21. Commissioner Heywood made a motion to recommend the PARC Commission support the operational and capital requests for the proposed FY21 budget and to have the Director work with the Town Manager to incorporate it into the Town Manager s recommended FY21 budget to the Town Board. Commissioner Kolkhorst seconded and the motion passed unanimously.
Upcoming events: Black History Month Celebration at Town Hall on Saturday, February 1, 1:00-3:00 pm; art exhibit featuring works by Charlotte artist,
Kevin Harris, on display in the Town Hall lobby throughout February; Sponsor Appreciation Reception on at Eleven Lakes on Wednesday, February 12, 5:30 pm; Outdoor Adventures Hike at Latta Plantation on Sunday, March 8, 1:00-3:00 pm; Hop Into Spring at Robbins Park on Saturday, April 4, 2:00-4:00 pm; and Earth Jam 2020 at Robbins Park on Saturday, April 25, 4:00-7:00 pm.